If you are looking to take your RV rental to one of Pennsylvania’s largest state parks, then Ohiopyle State Park is the place to go! Spanning over 19,00 acres of beautiful natural wonderland, Ohiopyle State Park is one of the country’s most visited state parks. With its ample picnic areas, numerous outdoor activities and famous area landmarks, Ohiopyle State Park is an ideal place to spend a vacation with your family. Ohiopyle State Park is located in the middle of the Laurel Highlands region of Pennsylvania.
Ohiopyle State Park was formed in the 1960’s after the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy sold the land to the state of Pennsylvania. Over the years millions of people have visited the Ohiopyle area, starting with George Washington to present visitors like you and your family.
Ohiopyle State Park Activities
- Picnicking: The secluded Cucumber Run Picnic Area is adjacent to Cucumber Run, a beautiful creek lined with rhododendron bushes and large trees. This picnic area is also where you can find the scenic Great Gorge Trail. Two pavilions are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Fishing: The Youghiogheny River provides exceptional wilderness trout fishing. In cooperation with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, fingerling trout are stocked throughout the entire section of river within the park.
- Rock Climbing: There are a number of rock climbing opportunities exist in Ohiopyle State Park. Meadow Run Climbing Area, Bruner Run Climbing Area and a series of four walls along the Lower Youghiogheny section of the Great Allegheny Passage have a combination of top-roping and sport routes for climbers of all abilities.
- Camping: Through the months of April to December, the Kentuck Campground has nearly 200 campsites open. The campground has 27 walk-in sites that require a short hike from the vehicle to the campsite. Kentuck Campground also has three sites with walled tents and three multi-sites. All campsites have a picnic table, fire ring and parking space, and the campground has a sanitary dumping station and shower houses. Many campsites have electric hookups, which are perfect for RV rentals of all sizes.
- Hiking: There are nearly 80 miles of hiking trails throughout Ohiopyle State Park. The trails range in distance and experience level. The scenic trails make for a picturesque afternoon hike and well as an enjoyable and exhilarating backpacking trip.
Located at the southern reaches of the Laurel Ridge, Ohiopyle State Park encompasses approximately 20,500 acres of rugged natural beauty and serves as the southern gateway to the Laurel Highlands. This is an exciting and adventurous place to take an RV rental from Freedom RV rentals.